Where do teachers go when they finish the program?
Roughly two-thirds of our trainees go overseas to teach, and the other third teach in the USA. Many trainees, once they have begun teaching, find it so rewarding that they decide to teach both in the USA and abroad.
How does LADO help with the job search?
All of the LADO teacher trainers have extensive experience teaching EFL/ESL in a wide variety of situations in the USA and in countries around the world. The training staff is in constant communication with international and domestic language schools. During the course and afterwards, we provide personal job search assistance by providing job leads, contacts, school information, and extensive use of our worldwide alumni network to identify teaching opportunities.
The program provides far more than just job leads, however. We thoroughly prepare trainees for all aspects of transitioning to a new job or career. Trainees learn about the interview process– what to say and do and how to say and do it. Our knowledgeable and experienced trainers give advice and assistance to help trainees make good choices when they receive job offers. We review employment contracts and job offers and help trainees negotiate the many requirements and need-to-know details of living and working abroad. We teach trainees what to look for in their school search and how to make the most of their first days and weeks on the job and in a new environment.
After you have successfully completed the LADO TEFL Certificate Course, final lesson plan, final test, and submitted a satisfactory toolbox, you will receive:
- A TEFL Certificate within 30 days. The Certificate will be accompanied by an in-depth synopsis of your achievements during the course, the course requirements and expectations,
- A letter that will give any potential employer or university a deep understanding of the rigorous demands LADO asks of each trainee.
Despite the 30 days you may have to wait for the certificate, you will immediately be able to move forward professionally following the course. At LADO we feel that we are only successful if our trainees are, so we will do anything in our power to help you achieve your goals.
Please note: for trainees taking part in LADO TEFL Scholarship programs through an overseas partner, credentials can be provided for visa purposes after final lessons. **
Work at LADO
One of the great advantages of getting your TEFL certificate from LADO International Institute is the fact that we are a fully operational English language school with 3 campuses in DC, Maryland and Virginia and 1 campus in Ohio . This fact allows TEFL trainees to gain experience teaching students in a “real” school with the opportunity to transition from a TEFL trainee to a LADO instructor.
Nearly a quarter of our current teaching staff and administrative staff have completed our TEFL training program. When searching for new teachers we always look within first. We trust the quality and methodology of our program and continue to have great success stories from our teacher trainees who choose LADO as a career path.
LADO International Institute (DC Campus), is currently looking for adult ESL teachers:
- Morning availability (9:00am — 1:55pm)
- Subs and Tutors (variety of hours)
- Evening availability (from 6:00pm)
- Saturday availability (9:00am - 1:30 pm)
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency
- a Bachelor’s (or higher) degree
- 6 months of ESL teaching experience *This requirement will be waived after successful completion of the LADO TEFL Certificate course (see below).
- Has a positive rapport with students
- Motivates students to make progress
- Flexibility with and respect for students with a variety of beliefs, needs, and goals
- Advocates a communicative approach to learning
- Collaborates well with colleagues & supervisors
- Interested and active in own professional development
- Knowledge of (an)other foreign language(s) and experience travelling to/living in other countries is a plus
Be trained by the best
Only at LADO will you experience an invaluable number of practicum hours beyond what other programs offer!